Monday, May 10, 2010

For Love of the Game

Love your team or love the game? This is one of the biggest sports arguments that I always seem to get into with my friends...Here is an example: I am a huge supporter and fan of my favorite team, just like anyone right? But when I am watching my team in a game, and the other team does something that they shouldn’t have, I voice it even if it benefits the other team . “What are you doing Rondo?! You aren’t good at shooting the 3 ball, take it to the hole, that’s what your good at man!” Everyone I’m watching the game with looks at me and wonders why I’m rooting for the other team. “No that’s what he should have done if he wants to get a better chance at scoring.” “SO WHAT! Why do you want him to score?!” Well I don’t necessarily want Rondo to score. Believe me, I want my team to win, but I do love to be coach sometimes and point out mistakes and what not, whether it’s my team or not. And IF my team is going to lose, I’d rather lose by the other team having a flawless game than losing because both team sucked but the other team was just a tiny bit better. At least I still got to see one team play good ball.

This is what I tell my friends in these instances, which usually sets off a bomb...“I love the game more than my team, if it wasn’t for the game, there would be no team.” That seems logical to me. I love my team because I love the game of basketball. I love playing basketball, watching basketball, and talking basketball. I just happen to root for whatever team in whatever city I grew up in because I love that city. In essence, a team does not define a sport in my mind. A team can help the sport yes, but not define it. Game came first, team came second. Easy-peezy, lemon-squeezy right?

5 comments:

  1. “Dumpster D”

    It is more than those coaching tips that piss off your friends. It is the comments in the third quarter and the game is tied and you say “we are going to loss” or you predict the other team to win before the game starts. I don’t thinks those comments are for the love of the game or your team, they are just negative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think some people just have a different view of loyalty to their teams. For instance, you have the crazy idea that it is OK to root for the Cowgirls, when the majority of H-townians believe that to be absolute heresy and betraying your city and team!

    As for the comments about what some one like Rondo is doing shooting from the inside when he should be driving in... You can say the same thing without sounding like you are rooting for the bad guys. For instance, "That idiot Rondo could have just driven down the middle instead of the wide jumper." You see, by insulting him for not taking the easy route, you don't sound like a traitor. Okie-dokie... spidokie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a native Houstonian, I will root for every houston team before I root for any other team. The hard part is when fantasy sports get involved. I want rhondo( my 3rd round pick) to do good but Rockets to kill the celtics. But in no way will i cheer out loud when rhondo gets a steal and scores 2. But I understand if you dont feel attached to Htown and root for basketball ahead of the rockets. Sugarland is far from Htown. haha! JP. just twisting your tit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I can see why people would get pissed at that Mr. Anonymous LG. But doesn’t that “negativity” show my passion for my team? When someone gets scared or nervous they often get negative to not get their hopes up. Was it negative or realistic for me to say that Houston wasn’t making the playoffs this year? Maybe both. And Nate, in hindsight yes that is a good idea, but when I see a play I immediately say something regardless if it's bias or not cuz I honestly just think the play at hand at that moment. Fantasy is a hard topic. You don't gotta root for it, but it's not bad to feel good in the end knowing you picked certain players who are going to put up numbers.

    P.S. Don't be jealous that you didn't live in SLTX

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot stand all of this fighting! First of all, who posts a comment without giving their name LG? That is pretty lame! Secondly, the reason why people dont like to watch the game with you is not because of your passion to coach. It is because you make a comment on every possesion, and that means throughout a regularly scheduled backetball game you will have made 9,675 comments regarding what YOU think that professional basketball player should have done. Third, anyone who roots for the cowboys clearly has mommy and daddy issues. P.S. I love Bryan!!

    ReplyDelete